Retention information & bibliographic metadata: CMCAB consultation

The Jisc Collection management Community Advisory Board is seeking the views of the community about models for incorporating retention information in bibliographic metadata.

A draft working paper was produced by the University of York, initially for internal discussion, which we felt was useful to share more widely. While the paper does not reflect any concrete decisions it raises issues and ideas which are useful. Please read the paper, ‘University of York_ 583_983 Best Practice (002) before completing the survey.

The survey can be found here. It will remain open until close of business on Friday 28th June. 

Following this survey, the CMCAB will produce recommendations and seek to encourage the community to work towards the adoption of common principles and goals in this area.

CMCAB October Meeting

The Jisc Collection Management Community Advisory Board met on 19th October 2018.  With apologies for the delay, a summary of discussions is provided below:

Board membership: Chris Awre from the University of Hull and Hannah Mateer from the University of Edinburgh were welcomed as new members of the Board.

Project and Service Updates: as of 19th October 165 institutions had agreed to participate in the NBK and are at various stages of the data ingest workflow.  Some contributing institutions not previously on Copac have also been uploaded to Copac where this has been deemed useful and straightforward.

There will be a soft launch of NBK services in January/February 2019, with pilot interfaces made available for user feedback, which will then be developed over the next few months. Consultants are working with the NBK team in developing designs as part of the broader Transforming Library Support Services programme.

SUNCAT and Copac will be retired in July 2019 so that users have plenty of time to move over while old and new services run in parallel.  The NBK team are working with SUNCAT staff on joint communications about the retirement of the service and are also developing a communications plan for Copac service retirement.

There is a separate sub project working on deduplication of serials data and SUNCAT functionality will be replicated to enable serials and UKRR workflows to be supported.

E-books: the NBK team are working with OCLC to investigate how their existing arrangements with e-book suppliers might be used to set up a data flow for the NBK.  Next steps will then be to clarify the ‘pain points’ in dealing with e-books (identified in previous Jisc research) and how the NBK can help, while dovetailing with work from other Jisc services such as JUSP and KB+.

For the latest update on the NBK (December 2018) see the NBK blog 

Data Ownership

An overview of the outputs from the consultant Ken Chad’s recently completed investigation into data licensing was provided to the Board.  Ken validated the NBK’s ‘value propositions’, as developed with the NBK team, in a scored matrix based on his discussions with the community.  More details about the recommendations from the report will be made available to the community in early 2019.

Community Data Groups

Reports and recommendations from the Community Data Groups were circulated to the Board.  This resulted in lively discussions about data quality, authority data, the supply of library metadata and data analysis skills for librarians.  Also discussed was the need for continued development of routes for community input and engagement with the NBK, for example through the creation of support mechanisms and user consultation.

An update on outcomes from the CDGs will be posted to this blog in the new year.

National Collection Management Initiatives

Following their collection overlap study, members of the White Rose Consortium (WRC) concluded that there was not enough overlap between their collections to inform decisions about withdrawals.  Following a second review of the data not much has changed in respect of member collections.  The team are looking into widening the group of libraries involved in a collection overlap study, with additional libraries using Greenglass. The hope is that this can then inform decisions about retention commitments.  In order to be confident about such commitments an analysis needs to involve more libraries.  Terms and conditions need to be agreed so that once outside the Greenglass process it is clear what a retention commitment means in practice.

UKRR recently undertook a survey into community interest in development of a UKRR model for monographs.  The Board will continue to follow developments with interest.  The NBK will support initiatives around collaborative collection management, including the use of retention flags and how these can be incorporated into future functionality.

The next CM@ event will be held on the 11/12th June 2019 at Royal Holloway.  David Morgan is leading on plans for the event and he and his colleagues are confident in delivering an exciting two-day event.  It was agreed that further discussion of the event will be postponed until the February meeting, when we will know more about the support David may need from Board members.

Date of next meetings: Thursday 14th February and Wednesday 17th July 2019.

CMCAB June Meeting

The Jisc Collection Management Community Advisory Board met on June 21st 2018.  A summary of discussions is provided below:

Board membership: Dawn Holland from the University of Hull is stepping down from the Board.  Her colleague from Hull, Chris Awre, will be joining the Board at the next meeting.

The University of Sydney have reported on their pilot project using CCM Tools.  Some interesting areas of overlap in East Asian collections was identified but the sample size (1000 records) was relatively small.  The pilot was a useful proof of concept but a larger scale collaboration would be needed to investigate the feasibility of any international service offering. The Board agreed that it was sensible to keep options open and to pursue this further when resources allow.

Service Updates: CCM Tools service enhancements are currently paused as we work towards the launch of NBK services and incorporate requirements into the Jisc TLSS UX development work.  However, the team have been busy with events and will be testing NBK data with the CCM Tools interface in the autumn.  Copac is in a stable state with some new data loads and reloads still taking place.  Activity is merging into NBK workflows as the project progresses so will not be reported on separately at future meetings.

Community Engagement: The team have been busy with a full calendar of CCM and NBK events since the last meeting.  As well as promoting the NBK and collection management services, the events provide valuable insight and feedback from the community.  This has included insights into NBK use cases for post 1992 institutions around acquisitions and managing e-book collections.  There has also been much valuable activity in Wales resulting in discussions with WHELF about supporting some specific metadata projects for the consortium and plans for CCM Tools training.  The CM@Edinburgh event took place on 29th June and was a great success with over 50 delegates attending.

National Bibliographic Knowledgebase:

The Board were shown some prototype data visualisations using elastic search and NBK data.  These show the potential to deliver new functionality and data analysis tools to support data quality and collection management workflows and are an excellent practical demonstration of the services which the NBK could deliver.  It was noted that it would be very useful to show this to the wider community to give insight into the potential for strategic analysis and delivery of new tools.  The Jisc team will be doing so at forthcoming events.

Data loading has slowed recently, often due to local issues getting in the way of progress rather than a lack of awareness or support.  In response to this we are engaging with individual institutions with support from Jisc account managers. While data loading remains a priority we are also putting an emphasis on communicating benefits to institutions, libraries and end users to drive engagement.

Serials data: work is progressing to incorporate expertise from the SUNCAT team into the development of appropriate functionality into NBK services.  This will support serials data workflows, including the UKRR.

Data ownership: a consultancy has been procured to look into the issues of data ownership and re-use which the NBK has highlighted to date.  This will include dialogue with data suppliers, libraries and the NBK team to provide an analysis of the data supply market place and business models, in the hope of finding a way forward to enable sharing of data.  It will conclude by mid-October and will also involve the creation of a small community working group to provide a discussion forum for the duration of the work.

Participant framework: a draft document was circulated detailing all NBK service components potentially on offer and the access points for different categories of participants (such as Jisc members, non-members etc.) for comment.  The Board supported the broad thrust of its principles but suggested some changes to the structure to improve clarity.  These will be incorporated before a public version of the document is released.

Community Data Groups: details of the four groups have been posted to this blog.  The groups developed a survey about bibliographic data in libraries which was open to the community for completion during June.  Analysis of the results is now taking place and the Groups will be meeting again on 26th July to discuss these and decide on recommendations and next steps.

Dates of CMCAB meetings for the 18/19 session will be confirmed as soon as possible.

National Bibliographic Knowledgebase Community Data Groups

Jisc have convened four community data groups to look at issues and possible interventions that might be made to enhance the quality and efficiency of library bibliographic and holdings data ( These groups are running from now until the end of July 2018, and will be reporting their finding and progress to the community through blog posts here.

Our First Challenge… NBK Support and Guidance: Past, Present and Future!
Our group was challenged with identifying the support and guidance materials needed by contributors to the NBK.

Through initial discussion around the data being contributed, we formed a shared theme of data past, data present and data future:

  • Data past – Poorly catalogued records from the past that may be difficult to improve or deduplicate against the same items from other institutions.
  • Data present – Records that we are working with now, many of which may be imported via automated procedures, from different suppliers and with varying levels of quality.
  • Data future – Ways in which the NBK might allow us to improve previously catalogued records in batch, or how contributed records with missing or incomplete fields could be identified and workflows provided to improve the data.

Further to the above, during discussion with people in specialist roles at both existing and potential contributor institutions, it became clear that there are many different support levels required, spanning some very specific skill sets:

  • The technical data import and export functions from LMS systems.
  • Expertise in cataloguing and metadata management.
  • Collection development and management activities.
  • Management and leadership roles wanting to understand the benefits offered by the NBK and how they align with the strategic goals of the Library.

We aim to enable these different teams to work together, combining individual skills and workflows to realise these benefits.

We took the past, present, future theme and also applied this to the contributing institutions:

  • Libraries that have previously contributed data to Copac, so have staff in the required roles who understand the benefits of contribution to NBK and likely have staff with the correct skills and knowledge to work with the NBK.
  • Libraries that have not previously contributed to Copac, but have now contributed to or are in the process of contributing to the NBK.
  • Libraries that as yet have not contributed to either Copac or the NBK.

Our support and guidance project will ensure that existing support materials and contributing workflows are identified and mapped to appropriate use cases, that current support needs of the community are analysed and a representative user group established, and we will provide a proposal for a long term online support space and ‘innovation zone’ to help support the NBK user community.

How can you help?

  • We are working with three other groups, who are addressing different data challenges in relation to the NBK to co-create a survey for the NBK community. This survey will be available from early May and will be shared with contacts at your institutions. Please take the time to complete the survey and pass to appropriate colleagues for their completion too. The more engagement we receive, the better informed our work will be.
  • Do you have skills and experience of working with NBK or Copac? We are looking for some potential ‘experts’ who may be willing to provide support to other institutions at some point in the future. Have you got experience of contributing NBK records from a specific LMS or even multiple systems? Would you be willing to help create some guidance materials? Get in touch –
  • Keep an eye on our blog posts and leave us your comments. We would like as much feedback as possible and would love to hear your thoughts on what type of support and guidance is required now and in the future. Please share these posts with your colleagues and encourage them to read and comment too.

Who are the members of the NBK Support and Guidance group?
Lee Blyth, Discovery & Access Librarian, Northumbria University
Annette Moore, Content Delivery Manager, University of Sussex
Emma Shaw, Collection Development Librarian, University of Roehampton
Kay Munro, College Librarian, University of Glasgow
Ruth Elder, Collections Management Specialist, University of York


CMCAB February Meeting

Here is our summary of discussions at the latest meeting of the Jisc Collection Management Community Advisory Board, held on February 8th 2018.

  • The Board reviewed Terms of Reference for 2018, adding an oversight of NBK activity, specifically in relation to collection management, to our role and purpose.

Service Updates:

  • It was agreed that The University of Sydney’s use of CCM Tools to investigate collection overlap within their Asia/Pacific collections was of great interest. The possibility of further analysis, potential partnerships or collaborations should be investigated.
  • CCM Tools has launched some enhancements enabling retention and management of search history for users. Further enhancements are on hold while we work on experimenting with NBK access so that we can start testing with NBK data.  The Jisc team will be consulting with the community on forthcoming collection management developments in year 2 of the NBK.
  • The Copac team are continuing to enhance Copac by loading new data. New NBK contributors will also be loaded onto Copac where this can be done smoothly and quickly, but this will not be possible for all NBK contributors.  At some point over this year the team will stop new Copac loads to enable full focus on NBK developments.
  • The team have developed a new administrative tool to manage the vastly increased flow of data to the NBK. Data inflow is increasingly complex, incorporating a range of routes, formats and sources.  A system model for the flow of data is under development which will need to reflect this complexity.
  • Copac has reached the milestone of 100 contributors recently and it is planned to celebrate this and link to a review of the first year of the NBK project. The acceleration of data flow and processing as part of this work has helped us reach some significant milestones.   The NBK builds on the success of Copac.
  • Organisation of a Collection Management @ Edinburgh event is underway with a date in June to be announced shortly.
  • The Jisc team are engaging with a variety of conferences and events over the next few months and are keen to develop further outreach activity, welcoming further suggestions or invitations.

National Bibliographic Knowledgebase

  • NBK Progress: the 60th dataset has been sent to OCLC and launch of a Beta interface for contributing libraries to check their data is imminent (this took place after the meeting). 108 institutions have agreed to contribute to the NBK and are at different stages in the data workflow.   Although the project has not quite achieved the ambitious Year 1 data loading target it was agreed by the Jisc Library Services Advisory Group (LSAG) and the CMCAB that sufficient progress was being made.  Members were reassured that there were no systemic problems and that existing targets for Year 2 were maintained.  Jisc are positive about moving into Year 2 of the project.
  • Key points looking forward to Year 2 are data ownership and data quality. Board members felt it is valuable that the NBK is shining a light on the concept of data ownership and discussing the issue with data suppliers.
  • In response to issues around data quality highlighted by the NBK (and building on the work of the White Rose Consortium) Jisc will fund some Community Data Groups to investigate and propose solutions or ways forward. This initiative will kick off in February, with groups concluding their initial work by the end of July.  The Board stressed that the outputs of the groups need to be scalable, so that the whole community will benefit.  It was agreed that the CMCAB will provide oversight for the initiative and that the groups will report via this CCM Tools blog.
  • As we move into Year 2 and look to extend engagement with the NBK to institutions not previously involved, it will be important to ensure the benefits to different institutions and to non-library decision makers are clearly conveyed.

More information about the NBK can be found on the project blog.

The next meeting will be held on Thursday 21st June 2018.

CMCAB October Meeting

The Jisc Collection Management Community Advisory Board met on 17th October 2017.  My apologies for the delay in posting a summary:

Jane Daniels (Cardiff Metropolitan University) had produced a report for the Board about community interest in metadata memory.  The Board’s discussion raised issues on the current capability of library systems and how metadata memory and bibliographic history conflate.  There was endorsement of the value of investigating the issue further.

Our colleagues at the University of Sydney are experimenting with CCM Tools’ new MARC upload feature, as part of their pilot to assess the validity of the identification of their East Asian collections as an area of collection strength.  It is hoped that a case study report will be produced in the New Year.  The Board noted the value of pursuing overseas engagement to develop sustainable use cases for CCM Tools.

Service Updates:

  • The new MARC upload feature mentioned above enables CCM Tools users to upload data in MARC Exchange format which is then de-duplicated against Copac holdings. This produces better results sets for Copac non-contributors in particular, consolidating their holdings against Copac data.  The CCM Tools team have redesigned the user support pages on the website which have now been made live.
  • There have been several reloads of data to Copac recently as well as ongoing work with NBK data. New contributors to the NBK will also be loaded onto Copac so that their data is visible as soon as possible.
  • The Copac team are looking into developing a cataloguing interface in the next year or so following expressions of interest from smaller contributors and OA publishers.
  • White Rose data analysis work highlighted some issues with de-duplication of very common titles in Copac. A new title index has been developed which is now based on the de-duplicated data.  This is now working very well and has reduced the size of the database by 1 million records.

CM@ Hull: The collection management event hosted by the University of Hull was a great success with very high levels of satisfaction reported by attendees.  Lessons for future events include: thinking carefully about the balance between break out and presentation sessions and assessing the value of charging which adds considerably to the administrative impact.  The Board thanked Dawn Holland and the team at Hull for putting together a most productive event.

CM@ Edinburgh: the Board discussed various ideas for the next event which will be held in Edinburgh in June 2018.  Planning is at a very early stage and we hope to report with more information at the next Board meeting in February.

WRC Collections overlap: colleagues from the White Rose Consortium provided an overview of their collection overlap project and the resulting report (available in the previous blog post) The report identified several valuable recommendations for the community.  These included:

  • Caution around export of data: institutions should understand fully the exact nature and content of their data exports.
  • Metadata quality is a major issue which could benefit from sector guidance with the aim of driving improvements.
  • Additional guidance is needed on how collection management tools work (particularly around matching algorithms).

The Board discussed how accurately catalogues reflect actual library holdings and agreed that there is a need to clarify the data that is excluded from exports by contributors to the new NBK.  There was interest in the concept of identifying key metadata fields used for matching/de-duplication so that these could be a focus for efforts to improve quality.  Areas of interest for further investigation are: quality of data and collection overlap. Formal thanks was given to the WRC for their study and report.  It is clear that the report and its recommendations are very influential in other forums such as the National Monographs Steering Group.

Data quality interventions: Jisc is keen to support initiatives to improve metadata following on from the WRC report.  The Board discussed various principles for any such initiatives including the need for transferable methodologies, addressing legacy data and appropriate means to enhance poor data.

It was a suggested that a ‘minimum standard’ flag could be applied to records in the NBK to raise awareness.  However, we would not want to mandate standards as this would result in too much substandard material being excluded.  The consensus was that the focus should be on higher level strategic work which will make a difference to the community.

National Bibliographic Knowledgebase Update: SCONUL, RLUK and the National Monograph Steering group have recently been briefed on progress.  A key message to broadcast to the community is that the NBK is ready to accept data from all HE and specialist libraries.

The Board were given an update on contributors so far committed, the timeline for the Beta resource discovery interface and a draft participant framework which addresses the issue of services which are open to all, those for Jisc members and those for which some form of charge may be necessary.  CCM Tools is incorporated into the scope of this work.  Initially the existing Tools interface will be tested with the NBK data.  There are no plans to develop a radically different interface but there will be improvements and developments to reflect improved functionality.

UKRR for monographs: an update was provided following a recent meeting of the National Monographs Steering Group.  The impact of the WRC report (discussed above) on plans for a UKRR for monographs was discussed.  It was suggested that errors in deduplication could be something the community lives with.  Emphasis could be on storage solutions for the greater amount of unique items apparently in collections rather than addressing data quality.  However it is important to consider any shifts in strategy carefully in the light of further work on data quality.  The CCM Board concurred with this caution.

A.O.B: Next meetings are: Thursday 8th February and Thursday 21st June 2018.

CMCAB June Meeting

The Jisc Collection Management Community Advisory Board met on 29th June.  Here is a summary of our discussions:

  1. As usual an update on CCM Tools & Copac activity was provided. Highlights included:
  • The CCM Tools pilot with the University of Sydney is progressing. We are working on providing a MARC exchange upload facility.  Once established this functionality will be rolled out for use by other users who don’t contribute data to Copac, enabling them to obtain de-duplicated results sets featuring their own data.
  • As well as the CM@Bodleian Libraries Book Storage Facility event, featured in the April blog post, we have run 6 ‘Introduction to CCM Tools’ events around the country which have been well received and reached out to many colleagues with little or no experience of using the Tools. A new series will be offered in the autumn.
  • Adjustments to the ‘My library groups’ feature (announced via the lis-collection-mgmt email list) were time consuming. However the Board agreed that the changes improved functionality.  Access for non-members of the UK Federation has been set up and tested.  It will be rolled out to Copac contributors in September.
  • A research report into low or non-use of the CCM Tools was presented and discussed. The concept and value of the Tools is recognised but there remains some confusion about accessibility for non-RLUK members which we will continue to address.  Board members commented that the key to expanding use is for the Tools to be embedded in workflows and that this will only happen if they are perceived as supporting a business need in institutions.
  • The Copac team are juggling maintaining data loads to Copac with increasing NBK activity. Various improvements to workflows are being implemented to help manage this, including a dashboard for new contributors to collate and update information about their data.  It will be rolled out to more contributors as part of the NBK work.
  1. CM@ Hull Event, 7th September

Planning for this event is under way with a range of speakers interested in contributing.  A sub-group will be convened to progress detailed plans.

NB Bookings are now open for this event at:

  1. White Rose Consortium (WRC) / GreenGlass update

Latest news on the WRC collaborative collection benchmarking project was provided:

  • Much work has been done comparing holdings results from GreenGlass and CCM tools. This involved close analysis of data through manual checking.
  • The analysis has identified variations in metadata between the three libraries which have inhibited consolidation of records for comparison. It is only through looking at large amounts of data that the true nature of issues becomes clear.
  • It is vital when embarking on any benchmarking project of this nature to fully understand the complexities of the data. Details such as changes in stock locations over years have an impact and the history of data creation and stock management have a big impact.
  • Further testing will be done and a report will be provided to Jisc. The testing has been challenging but work has continued to understand the level of reported overlap between the libraries.

The report was followed by a discussion about the nature of bibliographic metadata, whether metadata was improving over time and how the NBK may be able to support work to clean up and enhance metadata.  Levels of awareness of the issue are increasing in the community and the CMCAB will undoubtedly revisit it.  Colleagues from the WRC will provide a further update at the next meeting.

  1. National Bibliographic Knowledgebase

An overview of key milestones and principles for the NBK was provided:

  • The Beta service will be available in January 2018 and in January 2019 the full service will go live.
  • Phase 2 of data loading is currently taking place including WHELF libraries, existing Copac contributors who have provided reloads and some new libraries.
  • The NBK is essentially a database which will be the cornerstone for a range of Jisc services. These will include a cataloguing service and collection management tools through a login for Jisc members and a freely available resource discovery service.  Other services may be developed further down the line either by Jisc or others making use of the data.
  • For collection management, we will experiment with pointing the CCM Tools at the developing NBK database later this year to assess how this affects functionality. It is likely that the ‘live’ CCM Tools service will continue to use Copac data until 2019.  Existing functionality will be maintained but we are hopeful improved functionality can be delivered both from improved data coverage and from enhanced data such as usage, circulation and condition/preservation data if libraries can provide it.

Discussion followed about the data sources which will be incorporated into the NBK and the fact that community consultation is a key part of the project and is incorporated into all phases.  It was requested that Board members encourage colleagues to get in touch both about contributing data but also to volunteer for focus groups and provide feedback in specific areas.

It was confirmed that the NBK is a Jisc project and database which is being built on our behalf by OCLC.

  1. UKRR

An update was provided on Phase 3 of the UKRR.  This will adopt the principle of a Principal Holding Library and non-members will be able to use the facility on a pay as you go basis.  After Phase 3 the UKRR will be a ‘self-service’ facility enabling scarcity checking to take place.  An update on plans for a UKRR for monographs will be provided at the next meeting following delivery of a feasibility report.

Dates for meetings in 2017/18 are: 17th October 2017, 8th February 2018 and 21st June 2018.

We welcome your comments and suggestions on the work of the CMCAB.

CMCAB February Meeting

Please find below a summary of the Jisc Collection Management Community Advisory Board (CMCAB) meeting held on 3rd February 2017.  We have received some positive responses from the community about these updates, but welcome your comments and suggestions for improvements.

The Board welcomed another new member, Dawn Holland from the University of Hull.  The time and enthusiasm members give to the Board is much appreciated.

  1. CCM Tools & Copac Updates

University of Sydney Pilot Project: A project framework document has been developed and access will be provided to members of the team in Sydney very shortly.  They will use the CCM Tools over the next few months and deliver a report at the end of the summer.  This will enable us to investigate the potential for CCM Tools to provide international services in the future.

A number of community events have taken place or are in the pipeline: a valuable and popular way to promote CCM Tools to colleagues. Diana has offered to run local events for any institutions interested in hosting them which has received an excellent response to date.

Service Developments: the new ‘My Library Groups’ feature has been popular but caused some confusion because consolidated records display all holdings, not just those libraries in the group.  The Board agreed that the display should be adjusted to include selected libraries only with the option to display all holdings.  Work on developing new search format filters and search history management is underway.  A storage limit for search histories may need to be introduced to manage storage requirements.  The Board reiterated the requirement to be able to share searches with other members of the same institution but also potentially named collaborators.  The service development survey run over the last few months has confirmed our existing priorities.  Diana will write a separate blog post about this.

Shibboleth Access: this enables any member of an institution to access CCM Tools.  The Board did not consider this a problem as long as this is documented in the Help pages.

An update on new data loads is available on the Copac website.  The team are working with 3 pilot libraries from the M25 consortium to test a streamlined process for adding new data to Copac.  Some concern was expressed about the lack of data updates from some institutions.  The resulting lack of currency can have serious implications for collection management decisions in particular.  This is a perennial problem as the Copac team are dependent on institutions sending their data in a timely fashion.  If the team could directly ‘pull’ data from contributors, this would remove the need for action by institutions.  It is hoped that this sort of development could be part of the enhancements delivered by the National Bibliographic Knowledgebase (NBK).  In addition the NBK will be able to automatically synch data with OCLC’s WorldCat if individual libraries require it.  This will remove the need for two separate data loading workflows for the two services.

  1. Community Engagement

Diana will appeal for practitioners who may be interested in submitting a joint paper to the forthcoming NAG Conference about use of CCM Tools in acquisitions, which is a good fit this year.

Colleagues at Bodleian Libraries are happy to arrange an event touring their book storage facility in Swindon.  It is hoped this will happen towards the end of March.  The Board expressed great interest and appreciation for this.

It has been more difficult to find a suitable date for a larger collection management event along the lines of the previous Bristol and York events.  The Board are keen for this to go ahead, ideally in Scotland, so we will pursue this.

  1. GreenGlass Update

Board members from Sheffield, Leeds and York provided an update on their collection management work with GreenGlass.  The outputs provided need further analysis including an in depth survey of the levels of overlap between different collections.  These were significantly different to expected levels and it is hoped that a deeper examination of the data will shed light on this.

  1. York categorisation project

Ruth Elder provided an update on a recent pilot project at York to categorise a branch library collection of items according to a defined status:  heritage, self-renewing, legacy and finite (the ‘Leeds categorisations’).  Draft criteria were drawn up to allocate categories following extensive discussion, and 34,000 items were tagged.  The aim of the project was to establish a framework and methodology which can be used for future projects.  This was very successful and could potentially be rolled out to the main library at some point in the future.  The Board expressed significant interest in this work and discussed how such additional data might be incorporated into the CCM Tools if it becomes more widespread.

A report providing recommendations around the addition of preservation data to bibliographic metadata was produced by Michael Emly, previously a member of the CCM Board and provides more context for discussion in this area.

  1. National Bibliographic Knowledgebase

Neil reported that the contract between OCLC and Jisc, to develop the National Bibliographic Knowledgebase has been signed after some delays.  It was confirmed that the NBK will be an entirely separate database to WorldCat. Data will only flow to WorldCat according to criteria set by contributing libraries and Jisc have confirmed that there is no perpetual licence to that data.

The first 3 years of the project, costing just over £1 million, will be funded largely by HEFCE capital funding.  The service will be developed in 12 month blocks delivering alpha and beta phases followed by service delivery after year 3.  Years 4, 5 and 6 of the project will be a ‘business as usual’ phase with costs to be confirmed as roles and responsibilities are agreed.

Jisc will retain ownership of the NBK project as a community initiative and will be in control of governance.  The Board expressed support for this approach.  The team at Jisc (including the newly appointed NBK project manager, Bethan Ruddock) will focus on: service direction; project management; community engagement; first level support to community; quality assurance/enhancement (i.e. using Copac expertise in data deduplication and consolidation) plus development of value added services, which could include a cataloguing tool.  OCLC will be more focussed on data loading and operations, developing a strategy for pilot libraries to start loading.

  1. UKRR Update

The latest UKRR consultation forms part of work to establish a new business model which will be required when HEFCE funding ceases at the end of Phase 3.  A working group of practitioners will be looking into models including local checking of holdings via SUNCAT.

The UKRR feasibility study for monographs is underway and the consultants will produce a report around April/May.  They have been careful to liaise with Jisc to avoid covering the same ground as the National Monograph Strategy.

  1. Terms of Reference.

The Board reviews its terms of reference on an annual basis.  Some of the other Jisc governance groups in the area of Library management and data will be joined together to form a new Library Management and Bibliographic Services advisory group.  It was agreed that the work of the CMCAB is still vital in this new context and that the existing terms of reference were still valid.  Jisc are very supportive of the CMCAB and value its input as we move forward.

The next Board meeting will be on 29th June 2017.

Notes from the CMCAB Meeting in November

The Jisc Collection Management Community Advisory Board (CMCAB) met on the 7th November 2016 in Manchester, and welcomed a new member, Mark Hughes, Head of Library Services at Cardiff Metropolitan University.  Details of the other members of the Board are provided in the Board report from July.

A brief summary of the meeting follows:

Updates on activity and key developments from the CCM Tools and Copac teams were provided.

CCM Tools:

  • The team are finalising details of a pilot project with the University of Sydney which will enable our Australian colleagues to use CCM Tools to investigate international collection significance. It will enable Jisc to demonstrate the value of the CCM Tools to international partners and to investigate future access models.  The pilot is likely to begin in early 2017.
  • Community events remain a priority: events in Manchester and SOAS (London) will be run before the end of the year with additional events in the pipeline for 2017.
  • Development work continues on improving functionality.


  • A Copac IdP (Identity Provider) has been set up and is currently undergoing testing. In the first instance this will allow those Copac contributors who are not members of the UK Access Management Federation to access CCM Tools.  This will be rolled out when testing is complete.
  • There have been a number of large updates and reloads of data to process recently. Update statistics are now provided on the Copac homepage.  The Board were interested to note this information and felt some more context would emphasise the volume of work involved.
  • A Copac contributor web site and dashboard have been created with the aim of streamlining workflows for both new and existing contributors. In the first instance these will be trialled as part of a project to load M25 consortium data onto Copac.
  • Some of the libraries in the M25 consortium fall outside the original scope for Copac, where the academic libraries were all members of RLUK. As we move towards the development of the National Bibliographic Knowledgebase, which will have a much broader scope, it was felt this was a good time to start expanding the range of contributors, so a new workflow is being tested with some of the M25 libraries..
  • It was suggested that it would be interesting to find out about the collection management projects undertaken by this broader spectrum of libraries, possibly via a survey or through forthcoming events.

GreenGlass projects

The University of Sheffield and the White Rose Consortium are both working with OCLC Sustainable Collection Services (SCS) using their GreenGlass product for collection analysis.  Board members outlined the data inputs and outputs involved and reported that further analysis of the outputs is underway.  There are many complexities involved in investigating and using the data and SCS have engaged in positive dialogue to investigate some anomalies identified.  The Board concluded that the project outputs were very interesting and would value colleagues reporting back on further analysis as it occurs.

Feasibility study on monographs

It was reported that this recently announced study had been initiated by the National Monograph Steering Group, which consists of representatives from UKRR, RCUK, British Library, SCONUL, RLUK and Jisc and is convened by HEFCE.  An invitation to tender invites bids from consultants to report on extending the UKRR to monographs, covering shared storage, digital surrogates, data, inter-lending, models and appetite for such an approach to monographs amongst the community.  The study has an ambitious timescale for completion by the end of April 2017.  This work is being undertaken in the context of the requirement for the UKRR to become self-funding.

Board membership

Following the appointment of Mark Hughes to the CMCAB it was agreed that Dawn Holland, Collections Manager at the University of Hull would also be invited to join from 2017.  This will improve representation from non-RLUK and SCONUL member libraries.

Community Engagement

It was agreed that making available summaries of CMCAB meetings on the CCM blog was a useful step in developing community engagement, which had been welcomed by colleagues.

It was reported that once the National Bibliographic Knowledgebase procurement was complete communication and engagement with the community will be more forthcoming.  There was some discussion about how to engage the community with wider conversations about NBK developments and other collection management initiatives. A webinar could be a valuable way to share information and to test community reactions to proposals.

It was also agreed that it could be useful to put out a pre-meeting call for input to the lis-collection-mgmt mailing list and to make more use of the list for possible surveys.  In addition information could be shared via SCONUL Focus and the RLUK mailing list.

Collection Management events

There was discussion about timing and content of potential events in 2017 hosted by the University of  Edinburgh and Bodleian Libraries, Oxford (who have offered to host a visit to their off site storage facility). We will liaise with colleagues at these institutions to progress plans and ensure that the momentum created by previous events is maintained.

Progress report: National Bibliographic Knowledgebase procurement

At the time of the meeting the preferred bidder had been selected but the constraints of the procurement process meant that the information could not be released until later in November.  The contract will be signed with the supplier in early December with activity starting in the New Year.  NBK activity will run alongside Copac initially, at least during year 1 of the process.

Jisc’s Bibliographic Data Oversight Group (BIBDOG) will likely be incorporated into a new Library Support Services Advisory Group which will come into being shortly.  A dedicated section of the agenda for this group will be devoted to steering the NBK.  The CMCAB will still be required in order to drive community developments and input to the NBK.  The Board will be reviewing its Terms of Reference at the next meeting so will examine role and purpose moving forward more closely at that time.

Please send us your comments, observations and suggestions either by commenting on this blog post or contacting any member of the CMCAB.

Diana Massam.

Notes from the CMCAB Meeting in July

As reported in a previous blog post, the CCM Tools Advisory Board broadened its scope and remit following discussions earlier this year and with this came a new name: the Jisc Collection Management Community Advisory Board.

As part of this new remit the Board would like to keep members of the community updated with news of our activity and discussions.  Thus we will be providing a brief blog post summary of our meetings which are usually held 3 times a year.  Following this we are happy to receive comments and suggestions which can be discussed at future meetings.

The first meeting of the new CMCAB took place on 15th July at the Jisc offices in Manchester.  Our new chair, Christine Wise, took the helm.  The other members of the Board are as follows:

Jo Aitkins, University of Leicester; Sandra Bracegirdle, University of Manchester; Shirley Cousins, Jisc; Ruth Elder, University of York; Neil Grindley, Jisc; Stuart Hunt, University of Bristol; Thalia Knight, Royal College of Surgeons of England; Diana Massam, Jisc; Jane Saunders, University of Leeds; Gary Ward, University of Sheffield; Christine Wise, SOAS (Chair).

Highlights of the meeting were as follows:

CCM Tools: The Board were updated on responses to the general user survey about the revised interface launched earlier this year (these were small in number but all complementary) and two successful community events held in June/July.  It was agreed that the team would run a targeted survey in the future with more publicity and would focus on running additional events over the next few months.

Service enhancements: the team collated and prioritised all those suggestions we have received over the last year or so.  For this year we are looking at defining library groups, more search/refine options including looking into format and date; search history management and re-use.

A Copac update was provided: enhancements have been made to the de-duplication processes for pre-1800 items, improving the ability to successfully match records for newly added or updated records on Copac. Direct links to individual records are now available, for example, via a list of ‘Latest Popular Search Terms’ which can be accessed by search engines.  The direct links and search engine visibility enables individual Copac records to appear in web search results: recent usage graphs show how this data exposure has generated substantial traffic to Copac.

The Copac team are working on developing a new administrative interface to help streamline data loading and updates; there are many complexities involved in dealing with data loads, which can cause difficulties and delay to schedules.

Governance: positive feedback was received following Board member Ruth Elder’s announcement of the Board’s new remit and relationship with the BIBDOG group (see May blog post).  The Board agreed to provide details of discussions to the community via this blog which would also be a channel to gather feedback.

It was reported that a new oversight group is under consideration to work with Jisc as it develops a Library Support Services portfolio, called the LSS Advisory Group.  There is an overlap in membership of all three groups and it is important that they work in conjunction with each other but retain specific remits.

Community Events: we have a volunteer to host another CM@ event so will be taking this forward with a sub group.  Likely date may be early 2017.

National Bibliographic Knowledgebase: procurement is under way and the chosen supplier partnering Jisc will be announced by the end of October.  The implementation schedule for the NBK involves data aggregation at scale beginning from November 2016 followed by development of functionality and additional data loading, with the ambitious aim of service roll out by November 2018.

Working with consortia: the potential for CM activity to dovetail with activity taking place in a number of library consortia was flagged up.  Several Board members have links with relevant consortia and will keep the Board in touch with potential projects/links which we can facilitate.

Please send us your comments, observations and suggestions either by commenting on this blog post or contacting any member of the CMCAB.

Diana Massam.